BRIGADIER GENERAL JEFFREY L. NEWTON
Brig. Gen. Jeffrey L. Newton is the Director of the Joint Staff for the Alabama National Guard located at Joint Force Headquarters, Montgomery, Alabama. In this position, he is responsible for managing National Guard military functions of the Joint Staff and joint military program operations throughout the state. General Newton is the state's senior federal full-time National Guard management official and serves as the principle executive assistant and advisor to the Alabama Adjutant General. General Newton began his military career in February 1980 as an enlisted member in the 117th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing supporting RF-4C aircraft. He later received his commission in 1989 from the Academy of Military Science. His first assignment as a 2nd Lieutenant was Operations Support Officer for the 117th Resource Management Squadron. Since then he has served in numerous Logistics Management/Readiness Officer related career fields, either as a full-time Air Reserve Technician, or an Active Duty Guard/Reservist (AGR). General Newton has deployed to numerous overseas locations with his unit's KC-135R air refueling mission including Operation ALLIED FORCE at RAF Brize Norton, United Kingdom, and Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey. General Newton's previous assignment was Director of Staff-Air, Joint Force Headquarters, Montgomery, Alabama.
1989 Associate Degree in Contracts Management, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Air Force
1993 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Samford University, Homewood, Ala.
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala
2000 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2015 Master of Business Administration, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
2015 Joint Task Force Commander Training Course, United States Northern Command, Colorado Springs,
National Guard Biography
https://www.nationalguard.mil/portals/31/Features/ngbgomo/bio/3/3117.html[9/18/20, 11:18:21 AM]
2016 Joint and Combined Warfighting School-Hybrid, National Defense University,
2016 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University,
2017 Dual Status Commander Orientation Course, United States Northern Command, Colorado Springs,
1. August 1989 - September 1993, Operations Support Officer, 117th Resource Management Squadron,
2. September 1993 - January 2000, Management and Systems Officer, 117th Logistics Readiness Squadron,
3. January 2000 - September 2000, Chief of Supply, 117th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Birmingham, Ala.
4. September 2000 - April 2004, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 117th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron,
5. April 2004 - August 2006, Commander, 117th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Birmingham, Ala.
6. August 2006 - December 2010, Commander, 117th Maintenance Squadron, Birmingham, Ala.
7. January 2011 - March 2012, Commander, 117th Maintenance Group, Birmingham, Ala.
8. March 2012 - May 2013, Vice Wing Commander, 117th Air Refueling Wing, Birmingham, Ala.
9. May 2013 - August 2017, Director of Staff, JFHQ-Air Component, Montgomery, Ala.
10. December 2017 - January 2018, Assistant Adjutant General, JFHQ-Air Component, Montgomery, Ala
11. January 2018 - Present, Director, Joint Staff - (AL) Joint Force Headquarters (JFHQ), Montgomery, Ala.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
1990 Honor Graduate, Phase I and II, USAF Supply Operations Course
1993 Company Grade Officer of the Year, National Guard Association of Alabama
1994 Air National Guard's Outstanding Junior Supply Manager
2004 USAF Academy Admissions Liaison Officer of the Year, Region 2
2013 National Guard Association of the United States Meritorious Service Award
2016 Selected as member of Auburn University's Master of Business Administration Advisory Board, Harbert
College of Business
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 3, 1989
First Lieutenant Aug. 3, 1991
Captain Aug. 3, 1993
Major Aug. 5, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel July 23, 2004
Colonel Jan. 11, 2011
Brigadier General Dec. 1, 2017