Official photo for Brigadier General William Sparrow, Alabama National Guard Assistant Adjutant General for Air, taken November 12, 2019 at Dannelly Field, Ala. (US Air National Guard photo by Jared Rand) (Photo by Jared Rand)
Brig Gen William Sparrow is the Assistant Adjutant General-Air and Air Component Commander, Joint Force Headquarters, Montgomery, Alabama. In this position, he commands all units of the Alabama Air National Guard, and serves as the key advisor to the Adjutant General of Alabama on all matters relating to the air mission. Brig Gen Sparrow is a Princeton, N.J. native and earned his Bachelors of Science in Finance from the College of New Jersey. In 1985, he earned his commission through Officer Training School, where he was a distinguished graduate. He attended undergraduate pilot training at Columbus Air Force Base, Miss., and went on to fly the F-16 at Luke AFB, Ariz. Since joining the Alabama Air National Guard’s 187th FW in 2001, the General has supported over 100 combat missions and flown more than 450 combat hours in support of Operations Noble Eagle and Iraqi Freedom. Brig Gen Sparrow has also deployed in support of Operations Provide Comfort and Northern Watch and flown in operations over Bosnia. Brig Gen Sparrow has over 4500 hours in the F-16 Fighting Falcon. Prior to his current assignment, the General served as the Commander of the 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
1985 Bachelor of Science, Finance, the College of New Jersey, Trenton, N.J.
1990 Masters of Management, Business Administration, Mississippi State University, Miss.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. February 1986-January1987, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. February 1987-October1990, T-38 Instructor Pilot, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. October 1990-December 1990, Fighter Lead Training, 434th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Holloman
4. January 1991-June 1991, F-16C Upgrade Training, 308th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. June 1991-June 1994, Chief of Scheduling, 512th Fighter Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. June 1994-February 1996, Flight Commander, 510th Fighter Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
7. March 1996-March 1999, Assistant Operations Officer, 61st Fighter Training Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. March 1999-March 2001, Project Manager, 86th Fighter Weapons Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. March 2001-June 2010, Assistant Operations Officer, 187th Operations Group, Dannelly Field, Ala.
10. June 2010-October 2012, Commander, 100th Fighter Squadron, Dannelly Field, Ala.
11. October 2012-November 2013, Commander, 187th Operations Group, Dannelly Field, Ala.
12. November 2013-December 2017, Vice Commander, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
13. December 2017-June2019, Commander, 187th Fighter Wing, Dannelly Field, Ala.
14. September 2019 – Present, Assistant Adjutant General for Air, Joint Forced Headquarters, Montgomery,
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 6,000
Aircraft flown: T-38 and F-16 C/D
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant January 23, 1986
First Lieutenant January 23, 1988
Captain January 23, 1990
Major October 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel January 8, 2003
Colonel November 8, 2012
Brigadier General September 8, 2019